These 12 Questions-style fan profiles are one of the rewards offered as a tier on my Patreon page. You can catch up on the other profiles so far this season here.
Name: Justin Bukoski
Location: Portland, Ore.
Twitter name: @justinbukoski
1. How long have you been a NASCAR fan?
It’s sort of a long story, actually. I grew up in North Carolina but was never a NASCAR fan. When I joined the Army, one of my buddies was a huge Formula 1 fan and I got hooked on it. Dale Earnhardt Jr. winning at Daytona in 2001 after his dad died almost got me hooked, but it wasn’t until Juan Pablo Montoya made the switch to NASCAR that I became a fan. As an F1 snob, I was sure he would show NASCAR what a real driver could do.
2. How many races have you attended?
3. Who is your No. 1 favorite driver?
4. What made you a fan of his?
He won Daytona after his dad died and then the win after 9/11 made me a fan even though I wasn’t a NASCAR fan at the time. Once I got to see his interviews, he reminded me of my friends I grew up with. It’s hard not to like that guy.
5. Who is your most disliked driver?
I can’t say I dislike them but I don’t like the way Joey Logano and Ryan Newman drive sometimes.
6. Why is that?
I dislike when Newman has a car that’s 5 mph slower than the car that’s trying to pass him, yet he still makes it as hard a possible for them to pass. It’s blocking, not racing. Logano causes a lot of wrecks. He doesn’t always make contact with people, but he puts people in situations that get them wrecked. I don’t like that and he doesn’t need to do it to win. Kyle Busch used to do that.
7. What is your favorite track?
8. What is one thing you would change if you were in charge of NASCAR?
More short tracks and a smaller field; 36 cars are more than enough.
9. What is one thing you would keep the same if you were in charge of NASCAR?
The access you get to the pits and drivers. Nothing else like it in sports.
10. How often do you yell at the TV during a race?
Ha! More than once, but less than 10. I’ll have to count now!
11. Do you have any advice for other fans?
Have an open mind to changes. Also, take a non-fan to a race with you. And if you haven’t checked out Raceview do yourself a favor. You’ll never DVR the race again.
12. What else do you want the NASCAR world to know about you?
Me? Nothing. But I do want NASCAR to know there are fans up here in the Pacific Northwest. Don’t give up on bringing a race up here (just make it a short track, please!).