These 12 Questions-style fan profiles are one of the rewards offered as a tier on my Patreon page. You can catch up on the other profiles so far this season here.
Name: Erin Martin
Location: Winnetka, Calif.
Twitter name: @Jrsgr88stfan
1. How long have you been a NASCAR fan?
2. How many races have you attended?
I’ve attended 20 races at Fontana — including this year — and one at Dover.
3. Who is your No. 1 favorite driver?
4. What made you a fan of his?
This might be blasphemy, but I wasn’t a Dale Sr. fan; I was a Mark Martin fan. When Dale Jr. started driving, there was just something about him I liked. Maybe it was the bleached blonde hair — I don’t know. I loved how Dale Sr. interacted with Dale Jr.; it was endearing. After Dale Sr. died, that was it, and I became even more dedicated to what is now Junior Nation.
5. Who is your most disliked driver?
6. Why don’t you like him?
In 2008, Dale Jr. was leading the race at Richmond, and Kyle just wrecked him. I will never get past that moment. I won’t buy M&Ms, Interstate batteries, Doublemint gum or Pedigree dog food.
7. What is your favorite track?
8. What is one thing you would change if you were in charge of NASCAR?
I would make the races shorter. People consume sports differently now. It takes a lot to sit in front of the TV for three-plus hours to watch a race. If I wasn’t so invested in Dale Jr., I’m not sure I would sit there for three hours each week.
9. What is one thing you would keep the same if you were in charge of NASCAR?
Please keep the road course races. The last couple of years, those have been the most exciting races. And for me to say that is HUGE, because I have always disliked the road courses. But man, they have been good the last few years.
10. How often do you yell at the TV during a race?
If Junior is leading, I yell a whole lot and I pace back and forth. I feel like I drive every lap with him.
11. Do you have any advice for other fans?
My advice would be look beyond the driver. I have become a fan of the 88 team as well. There are a whole lot of people who work their guts out to get that car on the track each week. When you see them, acknowledge them, thank them and let them know you see them.
12. What else do you want the NASCAR world to know about you?
I’m not only Dale Jr.’s greatest fan, I’m Jeff Gluck’s greatest fan! (She made me keep this in there.)