This is part of a series of 12 Questions-style NASCAR fan profiles open to people who select that tier on my Patreon page.
Name: Cheryl and “Submarine” Mike Mitchell
Location: Jacksonville, Fla.
Age: Cheryl – don’t ask a lady her age! Mike: 46.
1. How long have you been NASCAR fans?
Both: Since 1979.
2. How many races have you attended?
Cheryl: More than 40.
Mike: More than 35.
3. Who is your No. 1 favorite driver?
Cheryl: Kevin Harvick.
Mike: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
4. What made you a fan of those drivers?
Cheryl: I was also an Elliott Sadler fan, and Harvick was his car owner at one time. I liked his not wanting to take crap from anyone.
Mike: A combination of being Dale Sr.’s son and the type of person he was.
5. Who is your most disliked driver?
Cheryl: Kyle Busch.
Mike: Kyle Busch and Joey Logano.
6. Why don’t you like those drivers?
Cheryl: His attitude when on track. He doesn’t care who he moves or wrecks along the way.
Mike: Same for Kyle. As for Joey, he comes off as arrogant on track. I don’t see how he can drive with squinty eyes.
7. What is your favorite track?
Both: Daytona, baby!
8. What is one thing you would change if you were in charge of NASCAR?
Cheryl: Quit changing the rules during the season. Stick with your decisions.
Mike: PUBLISH THE RULEBOOK ON NASCAR.COM! All other major sports have rule book online and/or in print!
9. What is one thing you would keep the same if you were in charge of NASCAR?
Cheryl: Leave Daytona 500 qualifying alone. It makes it special.
Mike: Keep the new points system/race format.
10. How often do you yell at the TV during a race?
Cheryl: Not too often. It depends on what’s happening on track and which race it is.
Mike: I don’t yell so much as talk to the TV, especially during pit stops.
11. Do you have any advice for other fans?
Both: If you’re watching at home, NASCAR RaceView Mobile helps keep interest during some long green stretches, plus it has in-car communications.
If you’re going to the race, you must have a scanner or FanVision to hear communications. Bring comfy shoes, especially for Daytona.
Also, it’s OK to hope for autographs, but don’t go expecting one. We plan time to try for autographs on practice days when you have a better chance, especially at Daytona in the fan zone.
12. What else do you want the NASCAR world to know about you?
We’re animal lovers who have two cats — MeowMeow and Gizmo — and a newly adopted dog named Sidney. We’re big fans of other sports as well, especially football and hockey.