This is part of a series of 12 Questions-style profiles of NASCAR fans. All of the people featured here are $25 or higher patrons on my Patreon page, which comes with this profile as a reward.
Names: Sally and Bob Wichert
Location: Citrus Heights, Calif.
Twitter name: @NorCalFanSal and @RobertWichert
1. How long have you been NASCAR fans?
Bob has been a NASCAR fan since 1969. Sally has been a fan since 1995.
2. How many races have you attended?
3. Who is your No. 1 favorite driver?
Jeff Gordon, but he’s retired. So Chase Elliott and Kyle Larson.
4. What made you a fan of those drivers?
Jeff was our local driver, he changed the face of NASCAR from being just a southern sport, he was good-looking, very fan friendly and knew how to beat Dale Earnhardt at his own game.
Kyle Larson is now our local driver and we’re also fans of Chase Elliott because he took over the No. 24 car.
5. Who is your most disliked driver?
Brad Keselowski is Bob’s most disliked; Clint Bowyer is Sally’s.
6. Why don’t you like those drivers?
Bob says Brad is snotty.
Sally says Clint is a smart aleck and a complainer. He’s not fun to listen to on the radio because he’s usually always mad about something. She doesn’t appreciate his humor either.
7. What is your favorite track?
Fontana has taken over in the past few years; Talladega is a close second.
8. What is one thing you would change if you were in charge of NASCAR?
The charter system is still a mystery. Make it transparent, along with the purse money. We really just want to know what the drivers make each race.
9. What is one thing you would keep the same if you were in charge of NASCAR?
The lucky dog and double-file restarts.
10. How often do you yell at the TV during a race?
Bob yells a lot. Sally yells whenever someone makes a bonehead move — either on the track or pit road that affects her driver’s position.
11. Do you have any advice for other fans?
If you’re at the track, go to the tweetup, get a FanView to enhance the experience and get seats high enough that you are able to see the entire track. Also, if you are able to obtain a hot pass for access to the garage, you won’t regret it.
If you’re at home, subscribe to RaceView on NASCAR.com for live data on track position and the speed of each car and to listen to in-car radios.
12. What else do you want the NASCAR world to know about you?
Bob likes to ride his motorcycle whenever he can. We are both dog lovers. Sally has Jeff Gordon’s Saturday Night Live guest host episode on VHS tape.